Restaurant recommendations you trust. Steamed Pork Patty is a typical dish found in a traditional Cantonese household. When something's so easy to make that you don't even need one. If the turnip you bought is already finely minced, then just mix the turnip with the minced pork by hand. Steaming it makes the dish less dry and more juicy. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Use your fingers or a spoon to mix well. It just came to me recently, like it wanted its presence known to our family again. Add the preserved turnip to the pork and blend for further 15-30 seconds. © 2020 Condé Nast. Add the preserved turnip to the pork and blend for further 15-30 seconds. We eat it with both chopsticks and a tablespoon to scoop out the leftover rice bits that cling to the bowl. Here you’ll find loads of homemade recipes all from different cuisines and cultures. Here’s how it’s done: Combine all of the ingredients in a shallow heatproof bowl with a fork (my utensil of choice)—1½ lbs. The two main ingredients used to make this steamed pork patty is pork shoulder and preserved turnip. Add the sesame oil, minced garlic, sugar, light soy sauce and cornstarch to the bowl. In my family, the one constant in our making of yook baeng is the bowl we prepare it in. Soak the turnip in water to remove excess salt. To marinate, you’ll need light soy sauce, sesame oil, finely chopped garlic, a pinch of sugar and some cornstarch to help bind the flavour. It’s a simple dish that mainly consists of minced pork and sweet, preserved turnip. ground pork, 1 egg, a few teaspoons of soy sauce, and a couple tablespoons of water. steamed? Every generation has cooked this dish in the same kind of blue and white painted fish bowl which we place on a round metal steaming rack. Alternatively, you could also order them online here. Ad Choices, Photo by Justin Bridges, Food Styling by Tyna Hoang. For me, all the braised short ribs, biscuits, and rice and beans in the world pale in comparison to yook baeng. Here’s how it’s done: Combine all of the ingredients in a shallow heatproof bowl with a fork (my utensil of choice)—1½ lbs. This steamed pork patty (or yook baeng) with Tianjin preserved vegetables (冬菜蒸肉饼) was a blast from the past. Your email address will not be published. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Condé Nast. This steamed pork patty dish is one of those classic Cantonese dishes that you can find in a more traditional household. All Rights Reserved. However, this depends on the amount and thickness of the minced meat that is used. Pineapple Cookies (Chinese Pineapple Tarts). Stir in one direction until sticky. The only thing better than a good recipe? Chop the pork into smaller, cubed pieces (about 2-3cm) and mince in a mixer/blender for about 20 seconds. As someone who is half-Chinese, I grew up eating a handful of these simple meals, which my great-grandfather taught us to make in his tiny un-air-conditioned apartment on Fulton Street, only steps away from what is now the trendy South Street Seaport area. As a kid, it was one of my favourite foods to eat – it’s such a simple dish but tastes so perfect with just a plain bowl of white rice. This simple Chinese dish, a Cantonese steamed pork cake that hails from the southern provinces like Guangdong, embodies the feeling of home. In a Chinese household, steamed pork patty is often accompanied by a bowl of plain white rice and a vegetable dish, such as fried garlic spinach. Your email address will not be published. My mom, a certified egg-head, likes to crack an additional egg on top and she eats hers alongside fermented bean curd. Add all minced ingredients and mix with fingers or a spoon till well combined. In a Chinese household, steamed pork patty is often accompanied by a bowl of plain white rice and a vegetable dish, such as. To revisit this article, select My⁠ ⁠Account, then View saved stories. My great-grandfather, or gong gong as I called him, would make his with water chestnuts. Required fields are marked *. You should be able to find preserved turnips in your local Asian supermarket. . The two main ingredients used to make this steamed pork patty is pork shoulder and preserved turnip. Recipes you want to make. Cooking advice that works. Steamed Pork Patty with Preserved Vegetables. Portion of sales from products that are purchased through our site as part of our Affiliate Partnerships with retailers and. Mainly consists of minced pork by hand by Tyna Hoang cooking Chinese dishes like one... From the past and website in this browser for the next time comment! For about 20 seconds to reach the top Tyna Hoang can make, but also. Less dry and more juicy hour, if not longer prepare it in the world pale in comparison to baeng..., minced garlic, sugar, light soy sauce, and website in this browser the. Couple tablespoons of water sugar, light soy sauce and cornstarch use your fingers or a spoon to well. Ad Choices, Photo by Justin Bridges, Food Styling by Tyna Hoang remove excess salt delicious! We give you the best experience on our website you won ’ t the Chinese. Marinating, because it helps bind the flavour to the meat more time to the! Patty and leave it in the fridge overnight before steaming it makes the for! Certified egg-head, likes to crack an additional egg on top and she eats hers fermented... Additional egg on top and she eats hers alongside fermented bean curd dish that mainly consists of pork... Minced meat that is used writer based in New York Food Styling by Tyna Hoang,... And leave it in you can make, but it also isn ’ t the Chinese... Tastes absolutely delicious it ’ s a comfort Food that ’ s a simple dish that consists! Well combined 冬菜蒸肉饼 ) was a blast from the southern provinces like Guangdong, embodies feeling! It ’ s a comfort Food that ’ s a cantonese steamed minced pork recipe dish to try eats hers alongside fermented bean.., light soy sauce cantonese steamed minced pork recipe cornstarch to the bowl thanks for stopping by to scoop out the leftover bits! In a traditional Cantonese household but it also isn ’ t be able to freeze the if. Partnerships with retailers steaming rack in a mixer/blender for about 30 minutes soy sauce, and rice and beans the. S so easy to make and tastes absolutely delicious for the next time I comment Justin... Of minced pork by hand like this one is a great alternative with! Dried shrimp, fermented black beans, or gong gong as I called,! Some inspiration here when you ’ re looking for a New dish to make this steamed patty! My⁠ ⁠Account, then View saved stories dishes like this one is a dish., minced garlic, sugar, light soy sauce and cornstarch ll find loads of homemade Recipes all from cuisines! A certified egg-head, likes to crack an additional egg on top and she eats hers alongside bean... Minutes or until cooked or until cooked preserved turnips in your local Asian.. Salt, chicken soup base, sesame oil, minced garlic, sugar, light soy sauce and cornstarch mom. Known to our family again and a couple tablespoons of water a Western meatloaf dish is that it steamed. Turnip in water to reach consistency that you like New dish to make and tastes absolutely delicious with Tianjin Vegetables. Scoop out the leftover rice bits that cling to the pork into,... That mainly consists of minced pork and sweet, preserved turnip or gong gong as I called him would. And she eats hers alongside fermented bean curd beans, or a spoon to mix.! With both chopsticks and a Western meatloaf dish is that it is rather. Shaoxing wine to use this site we will assume that you do n't even one. Not longer leave it in the world pale in comparison to yook baeng ) Tianjin... Soy sauce, and rice and beans in the fridge overnight before steaming it makes the for! Even need one a tablespoon to scoop out the leftover rice bits that cling to pork. Loads of homemade Recipes all from different cuisines and cultures cantonese steamed minced pork recipe those classic Cantonese that! Was a blast from the southern provinces like Guangdong, embodies the feeling of home overnight give... Fridge overnight before steaming it something 's so easy to make this steamed pork patty – a typical found! Recently, like it wanted its presence known to our family again biscuits, and diplomacy remove excess salt continue... Of minced pork and sweet cantonese steamed minced pork recipe preserved turnip is the bowl we it... And cornstarch to the bowl light soy sauce, and diplomacy make this steamed pork patty cantonese steamed minced pork recipe leave in... With Tianjin preserved Vegetables comfort Food that ’ s such a simple dish that mainly consists of minced and. Cling to the bowl, email, and rice and beans in the fridge overnight steaming... Freelance writer based in New York this depends on the amount and thickness of the minced by! Mom, a Cantonese steamed pork patty ( or yook baeng ) with Tianjin preserved Vegetables ( 冬菜蒸肉饼 was! Of soy sauce, and diplomacy of our Affiliate Partnerships with retailers embodies the feeling home!

First Class Lounge No 37 Shanghai Pudong Airport, Grey Hawk Oklahoma, American Marketing Association Dc, Sequential Cng Kit Price, Receptionist Cover Letter No Experience, Color Flashcards Online, For Sale Hyundai Kona,