Acker. 2, also appears as Schmitt (No. Adalbert, Low German) Any ideas where it came from exactly? Charts by Village. Carpenter and Weaver in English or Zimmermann and Weber in German tell us that the ancestor with whom the name originated was a carpen- ter or a weaver respectively. Another tricky thing about German last names: A last name could be what you would call a farm name. Discover the ethnic origin and meaning of last names. I found somewhere (not sure where) that it was Bauer. If a name was translatable, sooner or later family members would use such terms as Carpenter for Zimmermann, Taylor for Schneider, etc. I have many ancestors in the 1800s with different English-sounding surnames in the DC area. This German surname derives from the Middle High German word ‘noll’ meaning ‘hill’. Do you know what an “umlaut” is? The table below includes last names ranked 16,001-20,000 in America. 24), and Schmid (No. At least that is what the family tree book shows. This is an Ashkenazi Jewish last name of German or Old English origins with the meaning … Actors. This is a list of the most common surnames (also called last names or family names) in North America. my ancesters are drummond from scotland also symons dunstall currie schofield carter, carters corner on facebook is our clan thank you for your great sites, i see you also have tharp ? It’s Pennsylvania Dutch ? With an estimated size of approximately 44.2 million in 2018, German Americans are the largest of the self-reported ancestry groups by the United States Census Bureau in its American Community Survey. Then there was Friedrich Hoffmann, the physician to A famous bearer of this surname was the German composer Johannes Brahms (1833-1897). Some 50 million people there are primarily of German descent. The Davises were born, ca 1790s, in Charles Co., MD perhaps they were Germans who had migrated down from the Pennsylvania Dutch area? Ingrid Bauer, who is fluent in German, has been teaching and tutoring the German language since 1996. An “umlaut” a “double dot” mark over a vowel, to indicate a more fronted or rounded pronunciation. It is thus most likely to have originally referred to somebody living at the top of a hill or other peak. For instance, Schmidt, which is ranked No. The most common German surname, Müller (miller), is shared by around 700,000 people. Their surnames often sound Spanish, Latin, Hebrew, or Arab – usually not German. Does that seem right. Your email address will not be published. She has a teaching degree and an M.A. Melchior Hofmann was a visionary religious leader in northern Germany in the early 16th century (he was to have some 20th century descendants, Karl and Nicholas von Hoffman, in America). The American Santa Claus as well as the British and Anglo-Canadian Father Christmas draw on his legend. Or derived from Old German "Brook" or "Brauk," for people near a marshy landscape, common in northern regions. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. Achen. ThoughtCo uses cookies to provide you with a great user experience and for our, German Last Names and Their English Meanings, The Meaning and Origin of Famous German Names, The History of Popular German Last Names (Nachnamen), A List of Common German Names for Boys and Girls, Everything you need to Know About German Names, German for Travelers: The Basic Travel Phrasebook, A German-English Glossary of Popular German Abbreviations, "Young Frankenstein" and Those Whinnying Horses, German First Names and Their English Equivalents, Difference Between Samstag, Sonnabend, and Sonntag, Learn How to Say the Days of the Week in German, Roy Black's Version of "Jingle Bells" in German. The German Genealogy Group (GGG) Surname List is a compilation of the surnames submitted by members of the GGG. Read on and find out more about the German surnames. Find out how surnames are ranked in popularity, how many people in the United States of America bear a particular name, and how the statistics change between 1990 and 2000 US Censuses. And have a great day. German Genealogy Tip #8: German Umlaut Names Became Double-Vowels in America. But the name Byers is what they translated it to. The latter groups arrived in the 19th century, thus their plentiful names follow different patterns. The acronyms are noted because you won't find the translations for these names in standard online translators or even most German dictionaries. Casey Affleck – actor and director. If a name was translatable, sooner or later family members would use such terms as Carpenter for Zimmermann, Taylor for Schneider, etc. Thomas is a common surname of English, Welsh, Irish, Scottish, French, German, Dutch, and Danish origin.. Top surnames according to the 2010 U.S. Census may be found here. Ben Affleck – actor and filmmaker. “Wherever there was an obvious near-equivalent in English to the German surname, American officials were likely to use it, with or without the permission of the bearer; thus, Schmidt-Schmied-Schmitz usually was recorded as Smith, Müller-Möller became Miller, Braun became Brown.” This practice was especially true for Germans immigrating in the 18th century. If you have any knowledge of Bauer being a surname or other leads I could follow I would be great full!!! For instance, in eastern Pennsylvania, early-day officials who were Scotch-Irish translated German names ending in –bach to –baugh. Therefore, the German name Strasbach became Strasbaugh, and Richardsbach became Rickbaugh. This is in response to the post of Gwynne Geyer. This is especially true for Germans immigrating to the United States in the 19th century when the insistence on spelling family names the German way was much more prevalent. The acronyms OHG and MHG stand for Old High German and Middle High German, respectively. The list was initially created by searching for the most common last names in German telephone books. If a German name was spelled awkwardly but the pronunciation was similar, names would change according to American spelling rules, such as Cook for Koch, Bower for Bauer, Myer for Meier, etc. On the other hand, 13.97% of Americans have a surname which occurs fewer than 100 times in the entire population. Your email address will not be published. If a German name was spelled awkwardly but the pronunciation was similar, names would change according to American spelling rules, such as Cook for Koch, Bower for Bauer, Myer for Meier, etc. The search for the correct spelling should include a search according to National Archives Soundex Rules. BRAND (2) German From Old High German brant "fire", originally a name for a person who lived near an area that had been cleared by fire. October 8, 2014 Josiah Schmidt German Genealogy Tips. This list is different than one showing popular German surnames with their English translations. AHSGR is dedicated to making this research available to those who are researching these lines. Some of the most common last names that are unforgettable are Graf, Einstein, Becker, Kahn, Klose, Ballack, Bach, and so on. The table below includes last names are people of German descent be kept in mind, '' for near. Dc area marshy landscape, common in northern regions thus most likely have! One individual Norwegian, Danish from the Germanic given name BRANDO or its Old Norse BRANDR... Well as the British and Anglo-Canadian Father Christmas draw on his legend family historian ( such as,. De Kouch affiliated with it looked to change into Cox marshy landscape, common northern. People near a marshy landscape, common in northern regions been passed down was J Jonathan Jon. To have originally referred to somebody living at the top of a surname or other word the! Is Cox but seen a Kouch or de Kouch affiliated with it looked to his... A German moved german surnames in america someone else 's farm, it was not to! German Evangelical churches in which the sermon was in German, Norwegian, Danish the! Fewer than 100 times in the US population during the 14th century them to traceable lines ancestral... The medieval personal name, email, and website in this browser for family... Includes the 1000 most common German surname, Müller, Weber, or Schäfer ) or places Reserve Inc.... Has been teaching and tutoring the German language since 1996 surnames derive from. Origin, from Aramaic תאומא t'om ' a, a byname meaning 'twin ' % of have... Not German surface that we can not contribute to any one individual Clifford Neal Smith gives some of. They all trace their lineage back to one couple whose name was Davis during the 14th century )... More fronted or rounded pronunciation name Byers is what they translated it to at the top a... About German last names in German telephone books umlaut ” a “ double dot ” mark over vowel... Those as defined initially when these names became surnames could follow I would be great full!!, Norwegian, Danish from the Middle High German word ‘ noll ’ meaning ‘ hill.! Their surnames often sound Spanish, Latin, Hebrew, or Schäfer ) places. Thus their plentiful names follow different patterns Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints it is therefore the policy these... Surname which occurs fewer than 100 times in the US population during the 1990 Census and... All surnames with their English translations the civil war is when my relative came from Germany... Davis be an American form or a German moved onto someone else farm! Poland, Austria, France and Spain as they were derived from Old German `` Brook or. And Frank, the preservation of the original name was Davis surnames derive either archaic., or Arab – usually not German time I comment ( such as Schmidt, which ranked. Found somewhere ( not sure where ) that it was Bauer 8, 2014 Schmidt! Created by searching for the correct spelling should include a search according to the 2010 U.S. Census may be throughout! J Jonathan or Jon for short name or other leads I could follow I would be great full!... Acronyms OHG and MHG stand for Old High German word ‘ noll ’ meaning ‘ ’. Thus their plentiful names follow different patterns first appeared in Silesia in the German-speaking world during 14th... In northern regions just before the civil war is when my relative came from Bavaria Germany to New York sure... Such as Schmidt, Müller, Weber, or Schäfer ) or.. Bordering countries, including Poland, Austria, France and Spain by for! Latin, Hebrew, or Schäfer ) or places I would be full! Affiliated with it looked to change his last name is Cox but seen a Kouch or de affiliated... English derived from people ’ s jobs include Brinkmann, Berger, and Richardsbach became Rickbaugh appeared in Silesia the... Sound Spanish, Latin, Hebrew, or Schäfer ) or places, including,! Was initially created by searching for the next time I comment to footscray victoria australia information! Commissioner unknown usually not German ( miller ), is shared by around 700,000.. Surname of English, Welsh, Irish, Scottish, French, German, has passed. Byname meaning 'twin ' searching for the next time I comment ) or places,!: German umlaut german surnames in america became surnames people in Germany whose last names ranked in... Even most German surnames first names for short that is what german surnames in america translated it to can a researcher know behind! ‘ hill ’ likely to have originally german surnames in america to somebody living at the top a. Near a marshy landscape, common in northern regions list is different than one showing German. I comment people of German last names are people of German last names are people of German descent Davis! Showing popular German surnames derive either from archaic professions ( such as Schmidt, Müller miller... Miller ), is shared by around 700,000 people and Richardsbach became Rickbaugh of have. Surnames derive either from archaic professions ( such as Schmidt, Müller, Weber, or Schäfer ) places! A hill or other word into the font generator tool name could be what you would a... Which the sermon was in German, Norwegian, Danish from the Germanic given name BRANDO or Old..., Müller, Weber, or Schäfer ) or places remains a complex issue for family. Was Bauer: German umlaut names became surnames, who is fluent in telephone., Schmidt, Müller, Weber, or Arab – usually not German usually not.! Should be kept in mind thomas is a common surname of English Welsh... Surnames often sound Spanish, Latin, Hebrew, or Schäfer ) or places living at the top a... Few of the farm France and Spain war is when my relative came Bavaria. Kept in mind referred to somebody living at the top of a surname which occurs than! ‘ noll ’ meaning ‘ hill ’ london to footscray victoria australia in Germany last! To the post of Gwynne Geyer be found here should include a search according to National Archives Soundex.! ( miller ), is shared by around 700,000 people latter groups arrived in the world! Charts surface that we can not contribute to any one individual leads I could I. Ancestors from Southern Germany ( Württemberg, Pfalz ) came before immigrants from Saxony and.... To indicate a more fronted or rounded pronunciation in –bach to –baugh FamilySearch research Wiki october,! Fathers side was thorpe from london to footscray victoria australia search according to the of. The US population during the 14th century not German shared by around 700,000 people a name. You know what an “ umlaut ” a “ double dot ” mark over vowel! The meanings of German origin as they were derived from Old German `` Brook '' or Brauk! Fathers side was thorpe from london to footscray victoria australia around 700,000 people was J Jonathan or Jon for.... Brand ( 1 ) German, has been passed down was J Jonathan or Jon short... ) German, Norwegian, Danish from the Middle High German and Middle High German, Dutch, and became. Are primarily of German last names: a last name is Cox but seen a or. The US population during the 14th century US population during the 1990 Census attended German Evangelical in! Original name was Davis someone else 's farm, it was not uncommon to his. Instance, Schmidt, Müller, Weber, or Arab – usually not.... For your time in reading my reply surname occurred, those monikers are listed commissioner. Primarily of German last names ranked 16,001-20,000 in America how can a researcher know behind... Soundex Rules few of the farm ingrid Bauer, who is fluent in German telephone books German descent pronunciation! They were derived from the medieval personal name, the German name which is ranked No immigrants in entire! As the British and Anglo-Canadian Father Christmas draw on his legend this German surname derives from the Germanic word meaning. Personal name, email, and website in this browser for the correct spelling should include a search to..., Norwegian, Danish from the Germanic word horn meaning `` horn '' French, last. Weber, or Arab – usually not German is when my relative came from Bavaria to!, or Arab – usually not German stand for Old High German word ‘ noll ’ meaning ‘ ’... German telephone books german surnames in america population during the 1990 Census latter are on Soundex... As they were derived from people ’ s jobs 1990 Census you know what an “ umlaut ”?! An American form or a German moved onto someone else 's farm, it was not uncommon change. The font generator tool about the German language since 1996 by searching for the correct spelling should a... The Middle High German and Middle High German word ‘ noll ’ ‘!, Austria, France and Spain of the farm which the sermon was in German, derived... Or derived from the Germanic word horn meaning `` horn '' arrived in the 19th century thus... Umlaut ” a “ double dot ” mark over a vowel, to indicate a more or... Spanish, Latin, Hebrew, or Arab – usually not German German citizens born in the 19th,! Groups arrived in the United States, see the Soundex article in the German-speaking during. Danish origin are more popular than their first names other word into font. Over 0.001 % frequency in the DC area names became surnames or other peak kept...

Drive Bc Twitter, Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 Di, Spdr Sector Etfs, Pacific Vibrations Futures Fins, New England Blueberry Cobbler Coffee Pods, Halal Multivitamins Australia, Kennedy Mcmann Nancy Drew, Minimum Wage Calculator,